My recipe for from-scratch delight! Also free from processed sugar 🙂
First I made my own pumpkin spice mix (because it is not a thing in Austria). I used:
- 3 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
Then, I cut the pumpkin (winter squash) into junks, about 50g per serving. I used Hokkaido, but any should do.
I put the pumpkin pieces into a pot, with just enough water to cover the bottom of the pot, and cooked it until soft.
Per serving, I added approximately:
- a cup of soy milk (I use unsweetened, calcium-fortified)
- 1-2 dates (I used Medjoul)
- 1/2 teaspoon of the pumpkin spice mix
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
(These are approximate numbers, start with little and add more until the taste is just right for you.)
I heated the mix, then blended it with a hand blender. If you are like me and like frothy drinks, make sure to blend in some extra air (so lift up the blender a little).
Put the yummy drink into a mug and sprinkle with spice mix. That’s it!